Thursday, December 27, 2007

I grieve

I grieve for the prospects of peace and democracy in my world. I grieve for the chances of the next generation to rise above the violence and destruction that are visited upon this planet right now.

Benazir Bhutto was assassinated today.

***Updated to say***

Pakistan blames "al-Qaeda". Oh yeah... and we of course should always trust our "good friends" and "allies"... you know the ones who sold nuclear secrets to Iran, North Korea, and Libya, especially the undemocratically elected seized "President" who immediately pardoned the scapegoat nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan...

Yes, of course, we should always trust the word of tyrants and dictators, especially when we are motivated like our "dear leader" George Bush to "spread democracy around the world."

Please! Let leadership and sanity return to my world!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

The news of Bhutto's assassination literally made my stomach turn when I heard it.

Pakistan's hope for democracy has been extinguished... and with what hope for the rest of the region?

The only good thing that has come out of this is the fact that several of my students emailed me news links today, telling me that they were happy they finally understood how important a little place like Pakistan is.

ArticulateDad said...

Indeed. "A who is a who no matter how small". I weep and I shudder at the world.

It will get better. I must believe that.