Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Baked Mango Chicken with Rice

This experiment turned out well, so I thought I'd share it.
  • 1 cup (uncooked) rice (I opted for Vietnamese red rice).
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2-3 cups water
  • one medium onion, slivered
  • one whole mango, diced
  • 1 large (or 2 medium) carrot(s), coarsely chopped
  • 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
  • Seasoning to taste (I used salt, pepper, and paprika)
Preheat oven to 350F. Spread rice along bottom of a 9 x 13" roasting pan. Pour in stock and water. Set on stove top over high heat to bring just to a boil. Meanwhile saute onions in a little olive oil (or butter). Add to rice mixture. Prepare mango and carrot; add to rice mixture. Brown chicken in onion saute pan. Add to rice mixture. About now, the liquid in the rice mixture should come just to a boil. Turn off stove, and carefully slide pan into oven. Cover with foil. Heat for 40 minutes to an hour (my chicken was not fully defrosted before I browned, so it took just over an hour). Check chicken for doneness after 40 minutes. Leave uncovered in oven for the last 5-10 minutes to brown the skin, if desired.

That's it.

No comments: