Thursday, June 14, 2007

Domesticity

Breakfast: homemade sourdough roll topped with a cream-cheese & lox omelet; slice of home-baked sourdough multigrain bread, smeared with garden-fresh "tapenade" (more like a bruschetta, I suppose) of zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, and onions, cooked down to a medium paste.

Last night, I jarred up a couple more quarts of peeled tomatoes (we harvest about 2-3 lbs. a day!). Night before last, I tried my two week old pickled zucchini medley (zucchini, carrots, celery--only the last was store bought). It was good enough to jar, and make more (we harvest about 2 lbs. of zucchini every day too!). Rocket got me one of these for pickling! I jarred up nearly two quarts of the pickled medley, and refilled the crock with about 5 liters of freshly julienned zucchini (alone this time), some salt and spices, and a mere cup of water.

I'm sold on the Harsch fermenting crocks. They require very little salt, and the results are great!

Okay, enough domesticity. Back to my presentation.

1 comment:

What Now? said...

How fun to have all of this abundance! And it sounds like you'll get to enjoy the bounty for some time, what with all of this canning.