Saturday, June 30, 2007

Basque poached eggs

Years ago, I was a student in Annapolis, Maryland, where among other things, I worked the overnight at Chic 'n Ruth's 24-hour delicatessen. A block or two up along Main Street was a small Basque restaurant (the name escapes me), which was my favorite place for an occasional Sunday brunch. My preferred order was eggs poached in ratatouille. Yum.

I have, on special occasions made this dish at home, like this morning as we prepare to head to the inlaws (near Chicago) for a week's respite.

Because of the glut of zucchini and tomatoes in our garden, I have recently had cause to make some ratatouille, simple enough: equal portions of diced tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant (sadly the last was store bought). I salted and drained the eggplant, then mixed it all in a pot with a bit of olive oil. Simmered for 20-30 minutes, then it's ready. You could of course add diced onions, garlic, what have you. But the simple version serves.

Then, spoon an inch or two of sauce in a small casserole (warm in oven). Once the sauce and casserole are pre-warmed, top with a fresh egg, and grated cheese. Bake in oven around 375F for about 10 minutes (until the egg is just right), then serve with crusty bread.

It just eats my heart that my two lovely boys left most of it over. Ah well, at least they ate the eggs and bread.

1 comment:

Lilian said...

Oh! How delicious! Ratatouille is one of my favorite dishes ever. I'm tickled that more people will know about it now that it's a movie title ;).

I feel sad when the boys don't eat food I prepare, but at least you can enjoy it, right?