Thursday, April 22, 2010

Without a Struggle

Yesterday we passed a big milestone, the opening teleconference of our second stage (two year) contract. Yes, the contract officially began more than a month ago, but the conference was a big step, and a long time in coming. It's actually been more than a year since I had occasion to report on and present aspects of the technical progress of the project. So, like all things delayed, it loomed above me as a major step, growing with each passing day.

And.. best I can tell, they were wowed! It was also my first project conference with a full staff. I was on display not only for the project leads, but also for my employees. And it was a full house: 8 of us (me, 2 board members, 2 full-time researchers, 2 part-time staff, and one intern). I took everyone to lunch. A big sigh. I was relieved. And then... what now?

A few reports to file, a second month report for the other first stage project (due next week). But in truth, I feel rather freed, rather unfettered, yet flush with work for a couple years. It's an odd freedom. I'm so accustomed to struggling, that I'm a bit adrift. Silly, I know. But then experience is all we really have to inform our behavior. It just takes a little getting used to.

1 comment:

What Now? said...

Sometimes I suddenly get anxious when I realize that I'm not feeling anxious! It does in fact take some getting used to, this being-happy business.