Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's reasonable?

Here's a quick question out to my readers:
What's a reasonable salary for a postdoctoral researcher in areas you're familiar with?
I have a fair idea from my own experience applying for postdocs, and I have a sense of what I might have expected as a starting Asst. Prof. in the Humanities. But it's been a couple years, and I may be hiring outside my own fields.

If you don't wish to broadcast it here, I would welcome your emails to my gmail account listed at the top right. Also, feel free to paint a broad brush as far as field or general area of research, or tell me about your spouse's or partner's fields.

I just want to make sure that what I'm planning to advertise would be in the right range to garner interest from qualified parties. I have no interest in hiring someone who feels they deserve much more than I'm able to offer (or conversely who feels they're getting paid more than they'd otherwise expect).

2 comments:

apparently said...

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-09-075.html

We follow the NIH NRSA guide (years of experience=years post PhD)
Years of Experience: Pay
0: $37,368
1: $39,360
2: $42,204
3: $43,860
4: $45,504
5: $47,460
6: $49,344
7 or more: $51,552

ArticulateDad said...

Thanks apparently. That's perfect! I had been thinking around $40k for a freshly minted PhD, which puts me squarely in the range of expectation. That verifies what I wanted to know. And my planned increase of 8% for year two fits as well, putting me slightly ahead of the curve.