Tomorrow I enter a new phase. Today, I visited Lemon University to get my faculty ID, and work out all the little details of teaching adjunct. Tomorrow I stand up as a professor (albeit adjoint) in my own classroom, for the first time in 7 years. I'm looking forward to it all in a way. And yet, I am ready to keep moving in my new directions.
Rocket and I are looking to figure out if it might not be feasible to simply pick a locale within about a 4-hour drive of her folks, and plan to jump next summer. I still have a good deal of work to do in preparing my various proofs of concept.
I'm planning to talk seriously with an Intellectual Property attorney, and hopefully file one or more patent applications by the end of the year. I'm also planning to make contact with some Venture Capital firms, and prepare some demonstrations of the technology I'm developing.
The goal is still to have some income for my firm before the baby arrives in February. Will I remain at Lemon for a second term? I don't know yet. They chose to offer me a one-term contract. I might as well use their commitment aversion in my favor. I'll decide when I have a decision to make.
Meantime, I'm hoping to enjoy having a classroom again. I'm looking forward to inspiring and teaching (and learning from the experience).
Are we ready to jump? I don't know. But it's time to no longer be afraid of our choices, to no longer be afraid of the possibilities. Will we find a place within a four-hours' drive of her folks? What will the limitations be of getting venture capital?
So many questions. The next few months should provide the answers.